Tuesday 25 January 2022

On Writing

 I follow and connect with a lot of writers on Twitter. When that sort of thing works properly it can be a really positive experience. It can help younger or new writers to avoid pitfalls and it gives those of us with more of a track record the satisfaction of being a help. 

More than a few of the ones that need help went to school to LEARN WRITING. I'm not against arts writing programs. Not at all. They do have one problem. By their very nature of being in school and needing to create a visible syllabus they preach frameworks and methods.  Some students thrive with these building blocks. Some spend years following the rules and preparing to write, only to find they haven't written word one of the actual (book, film, you name it). 

It never hurts to be on a platform that has someone tell you, "Just tell a good story and fix it in rewrites."

The very first book I ever wrote was also the book I have rewritten the most. The first draft was written roughly thirty years ago. I polished it to the best of my -then- ability and sent it out. While waiting for results I started something else. Number one was quite rightly rejected soundly. Time passed and I realized I had jumped in ability. Not wanting to let sleeping manuscripts die I went back and rewrote book one.   

Years passed and I kept writing submitting and getting better and more completely rejected by publishers. I continued to rewrite the earlier books as I improved. In the process, turning the first one into the first book in what is now a four book series. 

When I got the comment, "I love your stuff but I don't know  how to sell you." From a New York Agent I began to realize that the established publishing world was not going to make a place for me. I was going to have to make my own place, both on my own and with one or more small presses. Brave talk for a writer who spells so badly that even the best spell check sometimes rolls over and says "I dunno man I got nuthin."


 

Check out book one. The first draft was written while my kids were watching Sesame Street. 

amazon.com/author/tabithabaumander 

No comments:

Post a Comment