Monday 8 November 2021

Christmas

 On Saturday I went to what was billed as a Christmas Market.  There was the usual selection of hand crafted this and that a DJ and the Business Development people who organized it was giving away free hot cyder. It was also wonderfully warm for a November day. 


The real attraction was the location. It was right next to Fort York the fort that was built by the British when the location was first settled by Europeans. (Yes there were indigenous people already here. I'm not getting into a colonization discussion. I'm not qualified. )  

Between the spot where the Market was, which is called the Bentway for some reason, and the reconstructed fort is a large visitors center. It didn't exist when I was younger and visited on school trips but people do have to get formal about things don't they?

The real attraction to this spot is its underneath a busy highway. The big pillars you see in that clip are holding up one of the busiest commuter roads connected to the city. Underneath are a lot of people sipping cyder, looking at beads, crystals, designer masks and considering buying some vegan chilly to go with the cyder. 

I didn't by the way the line up was to long.

In the winter they flood this spot and turn it into a long natural ice rink. I've never gone. I like my bones in the condition they are in. At my age one good fall and I'd turn into a maraca. 

No comments:

Post a Comment