Tuesday 16 November 2021

December

 We are into the second half of November now and I think its safe to say Christmas is coming. Like a monolith December hangs above us all. There are different ways to approach the holidays.  I tend to think of it as a very Celtic northern European winter festival. It's the dark of the year and from here on in the days slowly get brighter. 


I'll probably go into more detail at another time but I was raised Anglican, I'm now Jewish (non practicing, long story). Celebrating the season with this kind of attitude soothes my inner pagan. On Christmas day I make a nice meal, veggie lasagna when my daughter is able to come, spare ribs and a couple of different kinds of veg when its just me and my son.  We also go to the movies in the afternoon. You find an interesting crowd at the movies on a Christmas afternoon. We once saw a whole cluster of saffron robbed Buddhist monks. Don't know what they were there to see but presumably their abbot gave them the day off from becoming one with the universe to have some fun. 


When done right this time of year can be a healing time. Those with nothing get a lift up. Those with plenty get reminded that sharing is a human obligation. A long time ago I read an article written by someone who volunteered to deliver Christmas boxes for kids who otherwise would get nothing from Santa. On one delivery the mother of that family mentioned the people in the apartment next door had just arrived in the country. They had very little.



Having packed extra boxes for just such an occasion they knocked on that door next. The father of the family protested that they didn't celebrate Christmas. The woman writing the article told him; "We do and there's no reason for your kids to go without a treat. This is Canada and its Christmas."

So yeah. Its Canada and its Christmas. Be kind to yourself and celebrate being alive in however way you see fit. After the past couple of years its practically a notable achievement. 

Most of all be kind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment