Wednesday 3 November 2021

The Pan Am Games

 For years and years the powers that be in Toronto wanted to have the Olympics take place here. Not big on that myself I think Montréal is still paying the bills off from when they had it and that was over fifty years ago. We did however get a smaller event called the Pan Am Games. A sports event for countries in the North and South Americas. 

I'm not a sporty sort myself and didn't go to any of the events. I did attend some of the fringe entertainment based things and had a good time. That was when I learned Toronto has its own Japanese drum group. They're great by the way. 

One odd thing did happen. Roughly two weeks before it was due to start an underground room was discovered dug into the earth on the grounds of a university at the northern edge of the city. It had a generator for lights and a fridge. Someone came forward the next day to admit he and friends had dug it in secret as a party space. That was that. It was a silly story that even made the US news. 

I didnt buy it. I bet a lot of other people didnt either. An underground space located very close to the venue where the tennis was set to take place is an innocent party room? The thing is for a fantasy/sci fi writer the truth is kind of dull. Gritty, sad but ultimately dull. 

I turned it into a time travel adventure where a young genius invents a machine that transports an entire WW 1 dugout with one soldier into the present day.  Both soldier and dugout snap back to their own time and eventually the boy is caught by security forces but before that can happen both a detective and an archeologist working on her doctorate end up standing in a Saxon palace within sight of the Holly Island of Lindisfarne


. You can find a link to the book on my amazon page 

amazon.com/author/tabithabaumander 

To get back to the games I rather enjoyed them when they were here. I really think we should try for the Commonwealth games once Covid settles down. I'd never want the Olympics. Its just to much money for what you get out of the experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment