Monday 25 October 2021

Laundry

 There are rules with laundry rooms. If its in a private home one don't let your pets curl up in the dryer no matter how cute they look cuddling in the warm clothes. Yes I know its not that likely that someone will turn it on without looking but do you want to take that chance? I don't.

Then there's the shared laundry in an apartment building and your old standard the coin laundromat down the street. I lost my favorite laundromat several years ago thanks to the strip plaza raising the rent to the point where the owner just retired instead of paying. 

I was then left with two options. One was a laundry so beat up literally half the machines were out of order. The other was and is in much better shape but twice the walk. This is not a fun trip in the winter. The way my knees are getting lately its not a fun trip in good weather either. I am therefore limited most of the time to the room downstairs.

Here's where the rules start becoming uncomfortable. For me at least. In a public laundry if its super busy if you leave stuff in a washer or dryer and you went to the store or something and someone needs that machine its generally accepted that your stuff is going to get taken out and put somewhere so the machine can be used. 

Lately this building has attracted tenants that will put a load in the washer on a Friday night and not bother to come back to even put it in the dryer till Sunday evening.  There currently is a load of white goods set aside on a table that has been in the laundry room downstairs for over a week. There is a load I personally took out of the washer today and put on the dryer that sat in that washer all weekend. I really don't like doing that but I need clean stuff. 

I don't know about you but I don't own that much stuff. I'd never be able to lose track of an entire laundry basket load and forget that I carried that basket load (there's a basket there as well) to the room downstairs. Maybe some emergency cropped up. Its the season for that sort of thing. Still after a week you'd think there'd be one quiet moment to wonder, "What happened to the white towels?" 

Cant think of any pictures I have to go with this rant. I thought I had a video of my new laundromat but I can't find the thing. It's got a rather fun mural. I'll grab a fresh shot of it next time I get sick of not being able to do some laundry and decide a walk wouldn't be that bad. 

Here's a random picture of something historical. 


She's spinning wool with a drop spindle. No matter how annoying laundry gets at least I don't have to make soap by straining water through wood ash to get lye then mix the lye with the rendered fat of dead animals. So there's that.  


No comments:

Post a Comment