Thursday 21 October 2021

Time passes

 I went to see the new James Bond movie recently. Not really going to review it here . I will only say I enjoyed the nods to the decades of history this film series has and I found the ending rather sad. It took a day or two to process why it felt sad and the reason involved change.

Times Change: that's not some deep profound secret they just do. I was a girl growing up in the 60s and a teen in the 70s. Back then no matter the genre hero stuff was almost exclusively a MAN thing. 

With the exception of Wonder Woman or Mrs. Peel from the BBC show The Avengers, female hero's were all Bat GIRL or Super GIRL. Its almost like they tacked the GIRL versions on as a marketing ploy so they could sell pastel colored versions of the male costumes at Halloween. 

The Bond movies of course were an animal unto themselves. The capable female characters almost always worked for the big bad guy. There was a Bond Girl of course but she was mostly there to look good and have sex with Bond. Then she'd get killed in the second act and give Bond the motivation to kick bad guy butt. More recently the woman went from being one dimensional to two then three dimensional heroes unto themselves. Bond stopped winning quite so often and his drinking caught up with him. 

I think I'll miss the old Bond a bit.  At the same time as a writer of female heroes myself I can't say I completely disagree with the change. Its our turn to step up and kick bad guy butt. Just like Mrs. Peel.

If you want to check out my hero's you can try; 


Or this one 



Find both at    Amazon.com/author/tabithabaumander 

No comments:

Post a Comment