Thursday 28 October 2021

Writing

 People are always asking writers. "Where do you get your ideas from?" When that question comes up in the rare instances that someone takes an interest I generally quip "Plots R Us" and hope they change the subject.

The fact is writing comes from a great many places. Sometimes it happens mechanically. You start with, I will write a story using this setting. Then you build the story using factors like characters, toss in a reason for them to do things and a problem that gets in a way of them doing those things. You put the story together like building a leggo house. 

Sometimes things just come to you. When it does the skill involved is getting that amazing fully fledged idea down then working with it to make it into a three dimensional tale. No one publishes their first draft. The times when they do they generally learn fast it was a mistake. Yes, I bet you could name me some script or book that was great the first time out. Don't depend on being that person. 

I've talked around the where does this stuff come from subject didn't I? 

Output needs input; a writer is or should be a person who watches and pays attention. They often read a mammoth amount. I have a little issue with that in that I tend to absorb writing styles. Writing while reading confuses my personal style. 

You also need to let your brain connect things. Don't be afraid of the images that bounce around in there. 


 You are not thinking of jumping off that bridge with the subway line underneath. You're just putting a troll under there. Run with it. 

Sometimes a friend's working life gives you ideas. I have a friend who is a vet tech. She works in a lab connected to a hospital. Listening to her talk about work had me thinking of all the mice. That led to thinking about dead mice. That led to thinking about ghost mice. That led to Poltermice. 


 

So if you have to do any writing at all just focus and learn to let your imagination do the work and know that its not going to come out right the first time. That's what rewriting is for. 

PS; click the link below if you want to check out my work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment